Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Garbage Art


For years now I've been fascinated by... garbage. You know the stuff people throw away. No really, ever since I was a kid I'd travel around my neighborhood and look through stuff other people had thrown away. I would always find something wonderful. Sometimes it would be a cool steamer trunk or a velvet Elvis painting or a broken secret decoder ring. I never knew what would turn up. This fascination with other peoples trash lead me to the development of the worlds only eco-magic show done almost completely with found objects. Not only did I create magic tricks, but sometimes... I'd build garbage sculpture/garbage art with the stuff I'd found. Recently there was a festival in my home town - to honor Sam Philips the founder of Sun Records. Sam recorded many many famous singers - Carl Perkins and Elvis to name a few. A friend asked me to create a guitar art piece for the celebration. I used many many bottle caps, a piece of cool rusty tin from a barn and an enourmous amount polyurethane that had turned brown with age. I like the way it came out. What do you think? Peace & Recyclage S.T. :)

No comments: